I stumbled onto this little secret very early in my professional career: Being a consultant is the best job ever.
There are many reasons why consulting is an awesome career, a few of which are:
- You can consult your clients from anywhere in the world
- You can bill your client whenever you are thinking about their problems
- The range of topics is only limited by your imagination
When I was solo consulting, it was just that: me trading my hours for my billable rate, which was awesome. But one day a client asked if I knew anyone that I could bring on to take on some additional work. That was like getting hit in the face with a rock: lightening flashed in my brain!
I did know people that I could bring on to do that work, and I could charge my client more than the person would want to do the work. That means I would be getting paid for every hour someone else worked…multiply that by 2, 3 or 10 people and suddenly I’m making money when I’m not working. I just scaled myself.
And all the people said: “OH SNAP!”, and a company was born.
Learn something that people will pay you to teach them or do for them, then become a consultant on that topic.
Some specialties will pay more than others and require training and experience.
- Computer Security, Cyber Crime, Information Assurance
- Software Development, Systems Engineering, IT Infrastructure, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform
- Marketing, Internet Marketing, Google Adwords, Facebook Ads
Other consulting fields are more open:
- Maternity, lactation, childcare, school selection, childproofing your home
- Homeowner/Real Estate related: home staging, landscaping, organizing